Friday, January 19, 2024

Drokk the Law!! - Part IV

Back to the blocks as gaming resumes for 2023! No full campaign to start covering yet, but Andy, Sam and I are testing more teams from the Mongoose Judge Dredd rules that we've tweaked for fast and more even play. This week it was a Zombie Horde (played by me) versus City-Def (played by Andy) in a straight-up Street Brawl, with a six turn limit.

City-Def are an interesting team, and one I played years ago when I was experimenting with Judge Dredd as a set of rules for generic Sci-Fi skirmish. They get decent equipment, but can get "Trigger Happy" and blast away at everything in sight, friend or foe.

On the other hand, or rather, the other side of the table, the Zombie Master team is about bodies. Lots of shambling dead ones. With a psychically powerful, but physically weak Zombie Master/Mistress, a handful of "Super Zombies" and plenty of regular Zombies, I could put twenty models down to my opponent's four.

Once again we used the club Sci-Fi table, which is nice, but Andy is getting a more Mega City 1 style board together slowly, so we'll eventually be playing games on that instead.

The game itself was pretty dull, honestly. I don't know if it was a bad match-up or just not playing for an objective, but every turn involved my Zombies shambling forward and the City-Def popping off a few shots and then backing up. We called it at the close of six turns so I could get a quick game in with Sam, but it seems like the Zombies would have eventually won if we played it all out.

For the upcoming campaign, I probably won't be playing a Zombie Horde, aside from having already put a lot of effort into my Renegade Robots, the Zombies aren't a lot of fun to play and I get the feeling that they'll struggle against certain gangs. The Zombies themselves are particularly vulnerable to explosive weapons, so Judges would mop them up quickly, and they can't do a lot of damage, so Robots and Fatties would be a struggle as well.

City-Def are interesting, having good armour and guns, but mediocre stats, plus the chance to start shooting at each other if you're unlucky. I think they'll probably struggle in a campaign because they can't recruit new members too quickly and aren't as durable as other elite gangs like Robots and Judges. From a narrative perspective, there's no problem playing City-Def into Judges or anything like that, these units go rogue all the time.

The next step in getting the campaign up and running is getting more players involved and learning the game. I'm almost finished my Renegade Robots and have a Street Gang under construction. Depending on how my upcoming move goes, I should also have a Lone Vigilante and maybe even a Demonic Cabal ready before too long. Andy has started painting his Apes, Fatties and Sky Surfers, so soon we could have a whole mess of gangs running around Mega City 1, causing trouble for those damn Judges.

No comments:

Post a Comment