Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Superhero Media: Batman - Bad Blood

Following on in the "New 52" animated Batman film series (of which I've reviewed a few) Bad Blood is something of a mess, trying to do far too much world-building for the DCU without really telling a compelling story. Now, I haven't read much New 52 Batman, so maybe I'm missing some context, but there's a lot going on here that really failed to excite me? First of all, Batwoman uses guns now? I know that she's a former Marine Cadet, but if she's inspired by Batman, the guns are an odd choice; I found the character through 52, where she's already in full "no guns" Batman-mode, so this was a little jarring. Though it is good to see Kate in a film and getting to be Batwoman in the end without Bruce having to approve of her. The main narrative involves the League of Shadows attempting to steal a Wayne Industries space station (set to become the JLA Watchtower) so that they can broadcast a mind-control signal with help from Mad Hatter and Hugo Strange. All-in that's not a bad plot, but everything around it is just kind of silly. 


To achieve their ends, the League of Shadows are using adult clones of Damien Wayne who have been hypnotized into greater obedience. Why not use their army of ninja, or the many supervillains working for them? Who knows? But the Damien clone is gone by halfway through the film, because the League has captured Batman and will just hypnotize him to do their dirty work. To investigate, Dick Grayson puts on the mantle of the Bat and is joined by Damien Wayne, Batwoman and, later, Batwing, the son of Lucius Fox in a stolen Batman jetpack suit prototype. Because apparently the Bat Family isn't big enough already. There are a couple of decent fights and a raid on a Cloister that has Nightwing and Batwoman fighting nuns with Samurai swords and M60s (which I may have to run as a scenario if I can find the models), but overall Bad Blood fails to engage when needed. 



I really have no idea what the Batman writers are doing if this is the kind of story they keep coming back to, like, is there that much money in the edgelord fanboy demographic that the comics can just keep going on like this? Batman being the be-all and end-all of the DCU is tiresome and silly, especially when members of his own team are more compelling characters. I know I'm a broken record on this, but the more grounded Batman of The Animated Series or the Adam West programme are more interesting to watch and read, because they are human, not simply a power fantasy. I'm having the same problem with the Batman Miniatures Game right now, with a group of people trying to get me to play and me just so damn tired of egdelord Batman and company. I need to take a break from Batman, not that I'll get it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment