Friday, March 5, 2021

Thinking Out Loud: The Apotheosis of Rick

Like most underemployed, overeducated and somewhat lazy intellectuals, I'm something of a fan of Rick and Morty. A fan in that I enjoy watching the programme, have sat through it a couple of times and am looking forward to more whenever it comes out. As I tend to cast a broad net over what constitutes "Superhero Media", I have been asked as to when readers of this blog can expect to see Rick and Morty get the same treatment I've given Big Trouble In Little China and Scanners. The answer is; never. Not because I dislike the programme, or that I don't think it qualifies, only because there is nothing there to review. Like anyone with an internet connection, I recognise the not-even-a-little subtle nihilism in the text of Rick and Morty, but here's the rub, I've studied my fair share of philosophy, including Classical and Modern Nihilism, and Rick and Morty isn't really about that; it's about nothing. Rick and Morty isn't Nietzsche, it isn't Epicurus, it's a disaffected teenager scrawling "life is pain" on their textbook.  


And that's not an insult to the programme, that is the main point. Feature, not bug. Rick and Morty is perfectly crafted to draw in an audience of (mostly male) people of moderate intelligence who overestimate their cognitive prowess and assume their superiority to those around them. Now that sounds insulting, but I swear I only know and recognise this because I used to be that twenty-something fuckboy so assured of my own godlike status and profound intelligence that I wonder how anyone tolerated my presence, let alone became romantically interested in me. If you're chuckling over a joke in Rick and Morty that you think only people as clever as you get, please stop for a moment and think about it. Is there actually a deeper meaning behind that joke? Because I'm guessing there's not. The internet is full of fan-theories about minor elements of the programme that apparently have deep significance, but I'm yet to see one pan out, even after the long season 2-3 hiatus. The joke is there is no deeper meaning, it just looks like there might be. Yes, those of you thinking you have it "all figured out", unlike everyone else, you're the butt of the joke, sorry. 


You see, I've seen this before; ever heard of The Venture Bros? It's probably the best Adult Swim Original, mostly a parody of programmes like Johnny Quest, at least for the first few seasons. Sometime around season four, it morphs into a seriously compelling action/comedy/drama. There were fans online looking for deeper meaning in The Venture Bros for years who were never rewarded, and it's pretty obvious that the same thing is going on with Rick and Morty. So now you're a Ricky and Morty fan who just realised they've been laughing at the wrong thing for years, what's next? Keep watching the programme. There is nothing stopping anyone from enjoying media on different levels, so get what you like about it, that's cool. Many people enjoy The Matrix because of the slick action and daring effects, just because I enjoy it as a subversive transgender allegory doesn't make my enjoyment (or me personally) any better or worse than you. Yes, this is the point I've been building to; stop thinking that watching Rick and Morty makes you better or smarter than other people, because, as I've just explained, you've probably been getting it wrong the whole time. Rick isn't a person to be admired or emulated, he's a joke on how intellectual "elitists" see themselves when they are disaffected with their lack of actual intelligence. Grow up and enjoy the funny cartoons because they're funny. 

Also, maybe read some philosophy? Marcus Aurelius is a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment