Friday, April 1, 2022

Batman Miniatures I'd like to see

As longtime readers will know, I'm not all that keen on the Batman Miniatures Game (BMG) put out by Knight Models. There's a few reasons for this, primarily the expense and 35mm scale means none of my 28mm stuff looks 'right' next to it; but I've also never been a fan of games where every model has a list of special rules and an elaborate background, which is why I also steer clear of games like Malifaux and Wild West Exodus. I do own several Knight Models miniatures, such as Bane, Doctor Doom and, of course, Adam West Batman. 

Another element of BMG that I find off-putting is the focus on particular versions of Batman and other DC characters, this is, of course, Hardcore and Grimdark Batman takes from sources such as the Nolan Films, Arkham Video games and modern comics. I do believe that there's a place for The Batman Who Laughs, the Court of Owls and Heath Ledger Joker, but when that's about the only option in tone, I find it wears thin fast. What about the Batman the Animated Series figures, I hear you ask? Yes, they are nice, but they're of such a different style that they look out of place. 

So what would entice me to play BMG? I'm glad you asked, because I have a few suggestions of my own to make. Should any of these figures see production, you may just see some more BMG games on this blog in the future. But probably not. No one else at my club plays.

Joker and Henchmen (1989) 



I'm honestly a little shocked that anything from the 1989 is yet to make an appearance, especially the iconic Batman suit and Batmobile. My personal pick, however, would be Jack's version of the Joker and his fun gang of dancing criminals. As an entire team, the gang plus Joker would be great to see, with Boom Box Henchman, and Max, who of course, Joker could kill when behind to gain extra victory points. Money, money, money, who do you love?

 
Robin, Alfred and Aunt Harriet 


I like my Adam West Batman, but where is Robin and the rest of the cast? The lack of a Burt Ward Robin for years was frankly baffling, but I want Alfred with a disguise ability and Aunt Harriet providing extra actions through sandwiches. If that set does well, how about Gordon and Sergeant O'Hara, then Batgirl and maybe even Green Hornet and Kato from the crossover episodes? How about the villains? Louie the Lilac needs a comeback! 

Partyman 


No, I'm not done with Batman (1989) yet, get over it. Who is Batman? Who is Bruce Wayne? Who is the Joker? Are they all just reflections of the same person? The late, great Prince dared to ask these questions in his concept soundtrack for Batman, revealing in the video for "Batdance" that Batman and the Joker (AKA Partyman) are the same person and the only way to end the terror is suicide. Fuck, that's dark for a superhero film soundtrack! I love the album, love the videos, need this guy in miniature. What would Partyman do in game? Unleash the unstoppable power of the Batdance, of course.


Teen Titans GO!



I don't care, the internet is wrong, Teen Titans GO! is amazing and deserves to be represented in miniature. BMG is in desperate need, not only of some characters with a lighter tone, but also Raven's ability to perfectly crack walnuts, the hardest of nuts. Do you really want the terrible Netflix Titans? No, you want Fleshy Dude, Leprechaun Robin and the Couch to balance out when The Grim Knight drops.


Vampire Joker 




You think you know hardcore Batman characters? Try Vampire Joker on for size, bitches. From  The Batman Vs Dracula DVD film from the oft-maligned The Batman cartoon, Joker is one of many Gothamites turned by Dracula until Batman comes up with a cure and defeats the lord of the undead. This version of Joker is more about gadgets and acrobatics, which combined with a thirst for blood would make an interesting addition to BMG

No comments:

Post a Comment