Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Superhero Media: Thor (2011)

Going back this many years and films later, I'm really not sure why so many people I meet tend to look down on the Thor films. The first film in particular is very well done, with a good cast and crew, it just fails to be as interesting as other Wave 1 Marvel efforts such as Iron Man or Captain America - The First Avenger. In the distant realm of Asgard, the young and brash Thor, crown prince and first son of Odin, is immature and headstrong, not wanting to learn from the wisdom of his elders. Manipulated by his duplicitous younger brother Loki, Thor nearly accidentally a war and is exiled to Earth with his powers stripped away. Encountering Jane Foster, Eric Selvig and Darcy Lewis, Thor must learn humility and kindness in order to reclaim his hammer, and therefore power, return to Asgard, defeat Loki and get ready to appear in The Avengers. It's not a great plot, all things considered, but it's not bad either, just generic for both the Superhero and Fantasy genres. Still, I contend that Thor is better than the sum of its parts. 


For starters, let's not forget that Thor brought both Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston not only into the MCU, but into the mainstream consciousness; I really can't imagine another Thor and Loki anymore. The introduction of magic (or, at least a Clarke's Third Law version thereof) paved the way for Infinity Stones, Doctor Strange and Time Travel. Antony Hopkins is always good value, not to mention Rene Russo as Frigga and Idris Elba more than pulling his weight. Oh, and let's not forget the perfect but all-to-brief debut of the MCU Hawkeye, complete with irreverent quip; "I'm really starting to root for this guy". In the broader sense, it's hard to not compare Thor with all of the "better" films that Loki and Thor would go on to be in, but I think it does this first outing a disservice, especially as it still manages to be better than many 1990s superhero films by virtue of the cast and crew taking it seriously. 


Although I feel that the recasting of both Bruce Banner and James Rhodes were for the better, I'm very glad that nothing changed from Thor, as the cast is the strongest part by far. Yes, it's a while before we'll see Hemsworth really get to flex his comedy chops, but "I need a horse!" and the many pratfalls in the second act hint at something amazing coming. Around half of the Wave 1 MCU efforts are really good by my reckoning, Iron Man, Captain America - The First Avenger and The Avengers for the record, though Iron Man does slip a little with each re-watch. Thor isn't in that half, but I have to say that each time I go back to it, it gets a little better, or at least my appreciation of it does, as distance does it's work and I can see the seeds of Thor Ragnarok being sewn even this far back. I feel that Thor is probably the least appreciated film of Wave 1, with nothing really wrong about it, but still considered poor, mostly by reputation. I'll defend the Thor series any day of the week, but Thor really does speak for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment