Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Superhero Media: Kirby Triple Deluxe

I decided that something I can do with my 4+ months of unemployment (for the most part) is finish some of the video games cluttering up my cabinets. Longtime readers will likely know two things; one, I'm not really much of a gamer and, two, I love Kirby games. Naturally, I play just about every Kirby game I can get my hands on, even the ones that people tend to say aren't worth the effort. The main thing that people tend to critique about Triple Deluxe (and Star Allies for that matter) is that it isn't Planet Robobot. Whilst I agree that "Robot Mech Suit" is a hard gimmick to top, Triple Deluxe is as charming as most Kirby games, but tops it off with a fairy tale aesthetic and the most powerful form of Kirby that has been seen to date. When a mysterious seed feels to Dream Land, a massive "Dreamstalk" sprouts, carrying Kirby and King Dedede into the sky. When Dedede is kidnapped, Kriby rushes up the Dreamstalk to his rescue. 


Most of Triple Deluxe is pretty standard Kirby fare, the only powers I hadn't played with in the past were Archer, Spear and Circus, which were a bit of fun, but the returning Ninja power was one of the most useful, as being able to cling to walls let me plan out moves in advance. That said, taking Archer into boss fights makes them pretty easy. The new centerpiece however, is Hypernova Kirby, when the consumption of a Miracle Fruit turns the pink puffball into a rainbow vacuum of destruction, capable of swallowing even world bosses whole in a matter of seconds. Is Hypernova Kirby a representation of the character's "Final Form", or perhaps an inversion of his destiny as a Star Warrior? The game doesn't explain any of it, preferring instead to focus on the origin of the villains and the Dreamstalk itself. As is now typical for Kirby games, the villains, Taranza and Queen Sectonia, have a pretty twisted background, with Sectonia being warped by her constant pursuit of perfection and her loyal sister Taranza too loving to disobey or leave. 


Amusingly, the reason Taranza kidnaps Dedede rather than Kirby, is that she mistakes Dedede for the legendary "Hero of Dreamland", because he has a castle and servants. That's pretty funny, but begs the question, why does Kirby live alone in a one-room house whilst Dedede gets to stay king? I'm not saying that Kirby, effectively a toddler, would be a better leader, but when your Superman equivalent routinely dethrones your corrupt king, surely someone would think of putting Bandana Waddle Dee or whomever else in charge? The plot of the first game is that Dedede stole all of the food in Dream Land, that's some major despotism right there, and Kirby tends to fight him in every game since. Am I the only one wasting time considering the internal politics of Dream Land? Do I wish I had something else to do with my time? Does it even matter because there's a 3+ year backlog on articles? Tune in next time to see what I get up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment