Friday, June 5, 2020

Another Smash Bros Character Post

So the next lot of Smash Bros Ultimate characters will start dropping soon, we know the first one will be from the game Arms, but that's it as of time of writing. I'm pretty excited, despite having never played Arms, because at least the character will be colourful, bright and not another Anime-styled character from a fighting game or JRPG. As I've said before, I enjoy Smash Bros as a game in which cute mascot characters beat the hell out of each other in a series of colourful environments; the inclusion of more and more "human" characters is really dulling my enjoyment of the game. So yeah, this is another article about how I want more goofy characters in the game, deal with it.

Yooka Laylee 
Yes, I know these characters are already in Brawlout, but they're also finally on the Switch in their own games, which are a lot of fun if you've never played them. Basically, I'm just seeing Yooka and Laylee being an "Echo Fighter" for Banjo-Kazooie, rather than an entirely new build. No, I don't care that Banjo-Kazooie are only a recent addition, that doesn't disqualify them from having an Echo Fighter, it's not like there are rules for who gets to be in the game.

Wart 
Yes, I know I've said that there are already too many Mario franchise characters in Smash Bros, but that didn't stop another Fire Emblem character being added, so here we are. Wart is a big, evil frog that may be from Mario's dreams and/or an alternate universe and he uses bubbles for weapons; if you can't get a fun Smash Bros character out of that, you're really not trying.

Shovel Knight 
So I haven't actually played much Shovel Knight, but what I have was fun and I recognise that asking for Scrooge McDuck is a bit of a reach, even with the brilliant Ducktales reboot. I mean, Shovel Knight already has an Amiibo, so that's not a concern, and I don't buy the whole "they're already an Assist Trophy" line either. Shovel Knight's moves are pretty much already set for Smash Bros and there are 3D renders already in the game, this feels like more of a when than an if, you know?

Asura
I know I said no Anime-styled characters, but Asura, from the cult hit Asura's Wrath is so over-the-top as to almost be a parody of the style. From fights against bosses bigger than the planet to power-levels that break the universe, Asura's style and ethos is perfect for a game where Bayonetta can lose to Pichu if the RNG is right. Hell, a sequence where Asura catches the Moon from the Lake Termina level alone would make his inclusion worth the effort of dragging up this cult obscurity. Also, we could get another game, maybe? That'd be cool.

Juan
Yes, I've been on an indy-game kick of late, I'm just finding the big-studio platformers to be pretty unsatisfying. The Guacamele series is a "Metroidvania" style platformer starring Juan, a luchidor wrestler empowered by ancient Mezzo-American gods to battle evil. Never mind that Smash Bros only has one wrestling character so far, and no Hispanic representation, this guy just looks like a hell of a lot of fun to play. Also, Juan is pretty unique in terms of design, which would make for a fun clash with the Disney-styled mascots and Anime-inspired characters that populate the world of Smash Bros so far. 
Well, that's another list. I really hope we get Rayman soon, and not just more JRPG characters in this next round of DLC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment