Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Superhero Media: Kung Fury

For a little while, people have been telling me to check out Kung Fury, a tounge-in-cheek Sci-Fi/Action/Martial Arts/Fantasy film that has all the gloss of a bad, straight-to-video 1980s z-grade indy film. When I got Netflix, Kung Fury came up as a suggestion pretty quick, so, on a quiet night, I checked it out. For those who don't know, Kung Fury started out as a fake trailer, just a joke, really, but it was crowdfunded into a half-hour romp. Much as the content of Kung Fury is intended to titillate, with elements such as Triceracop, Kung-Fuehrer and viking babes on dinosaurs, I found I was left cold by its charm more often than not. Overall, Kung Fury reminded me most of Axe Cop, frantic and silly, but in a juvenile way. 


Aside from Axe Cop, the comic that I'd be most inclined to compare Kung Fury to is Next Wave: Agents of H.A.T.E.; a "pirate superhero fight comic" about five z-list heroes saving America from bizarre weapons of mass destruction. I freaking love Next Wave. As well as being balls-out crazy, the characters are well-rounded and there are many clever and quotable sections. In contrast, most of the jokes in Kung-Fury are in the characters themselves; "Hackerman" is a 1980s computer hacker, that is his entire character. One may argue that in under 30 minutes, there is little development of character to be had, but there are a plethora of indy films to counter that point. Should I be that mad? Clearly, Kung Fury is intended to be dumb from the outset, but I guess I was hoping for more under the surface, like in Rick and Morty or The Venture Bros. 
 

Although I didn't really enjoy Kung-Fury, I can't honestly tell people to avoid it. I think a lot of people will get the intended kick out of it that I didn't, and hey, it's a half-hour of your life. The final battle in the Nazi compound may be of some inspiration for supers games and dinosaur men are always worth the time in my book. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment