Friday, November 27, 2020

5 "Verses" Battles I'd like to see

After attacking the entirety of internet nerd culture in a previous entry, I decided I needed to flex my credentials a little. As mentioned in "Death Rattles", I am a big fan of theoretical superhero match-ups, dedicating quite a bit too much brain time for a man my age to thinking about these sort of things. My issue is that too many people are focused on how various powerful characters stack up as a bizarre matter of pride, rather than thinking out what would be fun, interesting and/or unique to see. 
To remedy that, here are five examples of crossover fights I'd like to see and how I think they'd go, just to prove I don't hate fun. If people even think that, I think I prop up the pursuit of fun in the Superhero genre quite a bit around here. I even enjoyed Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Out of the Shadows.

Ratchet (Insomniac) Vs Rocket (Marvel) 

(Looks like I'm not the first one to think of this) 
 
Two cute, furry, gun-toting mechanics with big histories as space adventurers and bigger weapons, Ratchet and Rocket feel like a match made in nerd heaven. As both of these characters are heroes, any crossover would have to follow the classic formula of "heroes meet, heroes fight each other, they make up, heroes fight the villain". Trust me, it's a cliche because it works. The scene in which each character pulls out a succession of bigger and bigger weapons, slowly blasting away wherever they're fighting, only to accidentally swap the RYNO for the Hadron Enforcer and hilarity ensues. I'd imagine that the finale of the crossover would feature both characters blasting away an entire space armada with hand-held weapons, or something equally as crazy.

Ronan the Accuser (Marvel) Vs Judge Fear (2000AD)

I'll start out by saying that I'm a big fan of both characters and have gamed this scenario out in my head a bunch of times. Ronan probably wins this one, he does hold the Universal Weapon, but the fight would be interesting nonetheless as Judge Fear is a supernatural opponent, something Ronan isn't used to fighting. Also, both of the two preen and posture, which is really important in a villain fight, which should be pretty damn camp if you're going to do it properly. And let's not forget the fun word-play that can be had with "Accuser" and "Judge".   

Doctor Dinosaur (Atomic Robo) Vs Calendar Man (DC)

 
Calendar Man is an awesome villain and I will fight you on that. I shouldn't need to convince you how awesome Doctor Dinosaur is, so here we go. I'm picturing this crossover working along the lines of both Calendar Man and Doctor Dinosaur are planning an elaborate plot at the same time and place and clash over who gets to pull their job. After arguing in each's typical faction for a while, the pair team up to use crystal-powered devices to kill people on Bastille Day (why not?). At the last minute, Batman and Atomic Robo swing in to save the day. This really doesn't need to be more than one issue of a comic, but I think it'd be a lot of fun; Batman needs more fun.

Battle Beast (Image) Vs Ares (Marvel Comics)
 
As much as I complain about the demand to see "powerful" characters fight each other, I'm not totally adverse to the concept, I'd just like to see it done with someone other than the usual suspects. Battle Beast is an alien warrior king driven insane by years of fighting, becoming a living engine of destruction. Ares is the God of War and a former Dark Avenger, with a thirst for battle that can never be quenched. Simply put, these two will wreck shit. You know those fights where the entire surrounding area gets destroyed? Yeah, this would be one of those, and it would be pretty awesome. There's a bonus here that may get some more attention for Invincible with having a character from that series in the same comic as a Marvel character.

Black Panther (Marvel) Vs The Phantom (King Features)
  (not surprised this time, this one's pretty obvious) 
 
I wonder why this one has never happened, not even in the heyday of Marvel U? I need to keep mentioning this, but The Phantom is still very popular in Commonwealth countries, with more than one series in print currently. Since the 2018 film, Black Panther is making mad bank for Marvel as well as a huge impact in black communities worldwide. So here's the pitch, Black Panther thinks Phantom is a colonialist whose "protection" is actually dictatorship and decides to go take him out for the good of Africa. After the two have fought and The Phantom is losing, his people come to his aid and Black Panther has to rethink his point of view. There's plenty of scope there for some great storytelling about race, colonialism and representation, which is exactly what a good Black Panther comic should do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment