Friday, December 30, 2022

Thinking Out Loud: Cap/Buck

There is quite an internet following for the "shipping" of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Captain America and Bucky as being in a homosexual relationship. Though "shipping" is not a part of fandom I've been particularly interested in, I must admit I've indulged here and there, and certainly see no harm in it, if that's your bag. Captain America is no stranger to the Gay Community, having been something of a Gay Icon for decades now, with many a Cap to be spotted at Pride celebrations and Mardi Gras. Again, I personally find that great and see no issue with people viewing the character that way, especially as most of Cap's romantic relationships from the comics have been forced and uninteresting. In fact, next to the MCU Steve and Peggy arc, the enduring friendship between Cap and Bucky is probably the best presented relationship for either of those characters. So, if I like the relationship, don't care about shipping and am already pro-queer, why bother writing this article? Well, I do have one niggling issue... 


So, ever wonder why men in pre-World War 2 films are a bit more "touchy-feely" than tends to be considered "ok" for straight guys these days? Well, you can thank the USA for that. To, grossly oversimplify, a huge cultural shift in the wake of WWII, whilst Britain and France became more socially minded (read: Left-Wing) in an atmosphere of having less and rebuilding, the Americans profited greatly from the war and drifted towards the "right". Weird how wealth makes you care less about other people, huh? Anyway, in parts of "the West" homosexuality (specifically male/male relationships) was partially tolerated, so long is it wasn't public and the cops didn't feel like beating your head in that day. Think British Public Schools or "love in foxholes" if you can't imagine it. Because there was no "Gay Panic", men touching each other was pretty normal and ok, with close friends and brothers even kissing and hugging when greeting one another. Please though, don't take my word for it, there are plenty of great articles about the loss of platonic male touch after WWII online, I first came across it in The New Yorker, because that's the kind of pretentious, elitist academic I like to think of myself as. 


So, when people look at Cap and Bucky and read their close friendship and platonic touch as homosexual, or at least homoerotic, in nature, sure, that's not harmful, but it bugs me a little that we miss something. Even in the 2020s, the fact that I hug more than a few of my male friends as a greeting, will even give a kiss on the cheek on occasion and/or advocate for platonic male touch in my mental health work, raises questions; about my sexuality, about why I choose to work with young people and what my motivations are. When I see Cap and Bucky gaze lovingly at each other, hug or even tear up when parting, I see the last vestiges of a dead era asserting itself. I see a great example of non-toxic masculinity demonstrating that touch is not forbidden and need no be sexual. I see a future where telling a close male friend that I love him without having to qualify it or risk social standing. That's why I'm not personally keen on the Cap/Bucky ship, even if it isn't at all harmful, because it obfuscates something I really care about, that I advocate personally and professionally. Please, enjoy shipping if that's your bag, but maybe also tell your best friend you love him, ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment